Estrogen Dominance & The Chaos It Can Create
Estrogen imbalance is very common and is not just a problem for women. It affects men as well. Yes, you read that correctly. It affects a lot of men, without them knowing it.
The problem relates to how much estrogen is in the body relative to the other sex hormones. For a woman, it’s too much estrogen compared with the amount of progesterone. And for a man, it’s too much estrogen compared with testosterone.
This state is known as estrogen dominance.
Estrogen Plays a Number of Roles
Of course, for women, estrogen is the key hormone in sexual development and pregnancy. So estrogen is a good thing, but it needs to be maintained in the proper ratio.
Here are other crucial roles estrogen plays. It:
- regulates insulin sensitivity
- assists in the processing of cholesterol
- helps reduce inflammation
- helps maintain strong bones
- promotes the production of serotonin in the brain and thus influences mood. For women in particular, low levels of estrogen are thought to contribute to postpartum and menopausal depression.
Common Symptoms of Estrogen Dominance
- weight gain, particularly in the hips, midsection, and thighs
- fibrocystic breasts
- abnormal menstruation
- reduced sex drive
- breast tenderness
- mood swings
- brain fog
- gynecomastia, which means enlarged breasts (i.e. man boobs)
- sexual dysfunction
Causes of Estrogen Dominance
- parabens (preservatives)
- phthalates (plastics, topical products)
- benzophenones (sunscreens)
- products with a strong chemical smell or perfume smell
Obesity and Estrogen Dominance
The Link Between Diet & Estrogen Dominance
Watch Your Blood Sugar
Now That You Know…
Sharing is Caring
Know Your Body - Know Your Health